I went PINK, what are you going to do?


So it is no secret that pink is my favorite color, throw in a bit of black and well you would have one happy girl on your hands, however, I am sure that most people thought I was over the unnatural hair color hair coloring. Not so much. Pink is a really cool hair color too and apparently according to quite a few people I can really pull it off and it makes my eyes look even bluer if that is possible.  (PS there are some people, ok one person, who doesn't agree at all and if he had his way it would still be blond, poor guy had no idea what he was in for when he met me)



I do have another reason other than to be shocking to have my hair pink. Two weeks ago tomorrow I ran in the All Out Pink 8 mile race in Manteo. It was the longest I had run since the half marathon in April and part of me was a bit scared I couldn't make it quite that far anymore, I did, and on top of that I ended up with a longer distance run PR. I made a decision when I signed up for this race that I wanted to do something a little more, something that showed my friends I supported them, so I decided on the pink hair. Sure I could have gone with the spray on wash out color, I didn't, sure I could have gone with a wig, I didn't, neither of those options to me showed the commitment I wanted them to know I had towards them and their journey. 



I helped Matt with the race packet pick up the day before the race and I  had one man who came in say to me "I HOPE that is a wig!"  I said "no Sir it is my hair" he never asked me WHY it was pink just looked at me with a funny old man look that kinda said he didn't respect me very much anymore. The very next day I saw him walking with his wife and I made a point to speak to him and this is exactly what I said. "Good morning Sir, my hair is still my hair, it is not a wig, it is not wash out hair color, it is permanent." Again I was met with "the look" this time with his wife standing close by watching the exchange. The wife said, "You colored your hair for this race" I started explaining to the couple yes I had colored my hair for the race but that was not the only for the day but for the month of October because it was breast cancer awareness month, and just a few short weeks ago I found out that my SIXTH friend in two years had been diagnosed and the way I looked at it is if they could walk around, sick, feeling badly, having surgeries, and missing their hair, I sure as heck could walk around with insanely pink hair for a few weeks just to show my support to the cause! It was quite funny but at some time in relaying that little story the man stopped giving me "the look",  it was one of those don't judge a book by it's cover moments.



With Monday bringing in October, and what I can only hope to be a great fall season for all my friends and family, I ask you to look inside yourself and think of what you can do to maybe help or to bring me awareness to this sucky disease that has affected way too many wonderful women. Me I will be rocking my pink hair!

PS a couple of side notes.
  • My Daddy knows my hair is pink, he actually thought it was kinda cool and said to tell anyone who had an issue with it that they just wished they had the balls (ok he probably said nerve but balls just makes the story funnier) to do it and they were jealous or that my other idea was to shave it bald.
  • My mother also knows, her response was GOOD GRIEF. (is anyone here shocked) Sorry mama but that is the truth
  • I was asked to color it Green for Saturday's run, it isn't happening, I am not particularly fond of green and I am MORE THAN GRATEFUL that Breast Cancer Awareness color is NOT ORANGE.
  • I also ended up with pink contacts for the race, and they weren't planned but they were really cool! 
  • Thank you to those that donated to the cause as I asked in an earlier post, I didn't get to $200 but I ran the 8 miles anyway! 
Much Love to you all, but especially to my SIX.
Re


Comments

Anonymous said…
Way to go....so proud of you. Wish I had your guts!!!! Angie

Popular posts from this blog

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Clownfish?? Well okie dokie then.

Why you will be hearing about my Spartan for a long time.