Everything you Missed Last week...

Last week in Review! (warning it is long)

Having completed two half marathons, and logging in almost 100 organized run miles in 2012, I would like to enhance my goals in 2013 by focusing on healthy eating, weight lose, and fitness. Our Outer Banks Bootcamp Coaches have repeatedly stated we should pick a goal or event, sign up for it, tell our friends, Facebook (or Tumblr) it, and pay for it. I have chosen my goal of 50 pounds weight loss, this is my way of signing up for it, telling my friends and facebooking all in one shot, and paying for it, well if having my life, workouts, and weight loss posted for all the world to see isn’t a price to pay I don’t know what is. :) Now lets get this show on the road!

Yesterday’s exercise was brought to us by Coaches and Todd at Outer Banks Bootcamps, up and town Holy Hill (Wright Brothers National Memorial), I think Joanne counted we went up and down 5 and 1/2 times I don’t even remember to be honest. Then there were situps (that looked more like centimeter ups when I was doing them) box jumps, step ups, twisty things (technical term) and push ups, we aren’t exactly the kind of camp to just do one thing. Either way I learned a couple of things last night, it is a LOT easier to run down a hill than walk, my new back pack ROCKS, Under Armor really does work! I must now find an Under Armor sweat shirt, I was neither hot, cold, or super sweaty due to having on a sweat shirt. What about you, what did you do yesterday? Did you learn anything about yourself?


First 5 k under belt for 2013. It was not the best or worst. 40:00 flat. I could not help but laugh when I got in the car and felt as if I was starting over at square one and realized it was 40 degrees and raining. I am here to tell you, THIS was the best day to RE start! Wouldn’t you say Rev?


Attended the Tastefully Fit seminar today given by Wes Stepp of Red Sky Cafe in Duck. Packed with information, and while the principles are what they are across the board it does not hurt to hear them again. It is no mystery that I like food. Lots of food. I don’t always eat the right foods. This I have a problem with. The truth is I have to cut the crap and focus on good wholesome foods that are as close as they are to nature. I left the club and went straight to the store and stocked up on fresh fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. My only regret is not taking Drake with me. He would have enjoyed it. Lets get this done!

Ate incredibly well yesterday and just missed my target calorie intake by 23, but considering it is 1200 I will not be flipping out over 23 calories. I will be very interested to see on Monday the dent that has been put into the 50. I wish I had taken a photo of last nights dinner.. it was HUGE.. the brat enjoyed it .. it was loaded full of fresh veggies, lean protein, and good carbs… and under 300 calories!

I think that if I had told him this is a really good dinner so just eat it, he would have turned his nose up given the ingredients, however, the dish was so beautiful that was his first comment.. THIS LOOKS so good, he wasn’t even concerned with WHAT looked good, just that it was and tasted even better according to him. Tonight, I am attempting Chipotle Shrimp, veggies and organic brown rice topped with fresh salsa. I hope it goes over as well as last nights.

I missed last nights Bootcamp (fear not I will be making it up Thursday at the track) and today’s DBBC because… I am “tired”.. that is what I keep saying that way tomorrow I won’t be “tired”, I am refusing to use the S word.. sorry I am not that I am just tired. It has made it a bit more difficult to actually WANT to eat but given the wonderfulness of what I am eating, I am not skipping.

It is a good thing this is a journey and not a sprint because regardless of the calorie intake total yesterday and today I feel like I have eaten a truck load and worried that the scale will be going the wrong way.

The plans for the rest of the week is as follows :
Wednesday Bootcamp
Thursday Bootcamp am - Dance Body Bootcamp 2 hours pm
Friday - yea need to figure that one out probably weights
Saturday - Frost Bite 5k
Sunday - Weights / Dance Body Bootcamp

I am also realizing that I TOTALLY MISS my noon kickboxing class at Knuckle Up. I am serious need of winning the lottery, or finding a rich sponsor that will pay me (or my memberships) to exercise. Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!


Today is a week since I started this page. I don’t think I really wrapped my head around “eating right” until the following Sunday and started Monday so I had it planned to “weigh in” on Monday after a full week of healthier eating, I am not going to say “clean” because that just would not be true. I do have my vices. Anyway I couldn’t resist a peek this morning so I am throwing it out there and then on Monday I will do the “OFFICIAL” (drum roll please) 3.4 down. :)

Confession time: (cause you all know this isn’t just roses) this morning at Bootcamp after 2 rounds of bleachers and 2 crazy running on the track rounds (where Jay seems to think that I have more than one speed) we met up again at the bottom of the bleachers. At that time I was thinking oh ok… ONE more round of these bleachers and I am golden ( had to leave at 630) Then I hear Jay say .. Christine take your Apaches…

It took an incredible amount of determination (and the fear of Adam smacking me in the back of the head if I moved) NOT to move my feet and head in that direction. (not to mention that oddly enough Jay asked another team member if they would like to go with them (he turned Jay down and I am so proud of him for it) I actually stood there waiting on someone, ANYONE to say.. Re get over there. No one did.. the only “thing” out there on that track that all of a sudden did not think I could handle those bleachers again was the 5 inches between my ears and ONLY after another easier option was placed in front of me.

I think it says a lot about how unwilling our minds can be to push ourselves when “easy” is in front of us. It is easy to eat that cupcake… it is easy to run through McDonalds.. it is easy to sit on the sofa and isn’t it bizarre that our minds aren’t fighting by screaming “Nooooooo not another episode of American Horror!”

I am starting to really dislike “easy” and how my brain wants to take that path, but happy that I stood my ground today and had Adam behind me pushing my slow butt up those bleachers the last couple of sets. :) It always amazes me what other people see in me I am hopeful that one day I believe in myself as much as they see. Until then… I will just do the only thing I know how… keep on gettin’ it.

Let’s talk about food and recipes for a minute. A couple of you have already asked me for this recipe or that recipe based on pictures. I have to say each time I laugh. First because I am no chef ( I won’t even wait for the pan to get hot) and secondly because I don’t use recipes nor do I really pay a lot of attention to what I put in something.

Having said that, I base most of my dinners on the pile method. Meaning I have a layer of this a layer of that, unlike my oldest son, I do not mind my food touching or all jumbled up. Also there are staples that are used and those are as follows:
1. Veggies tons of them, anything and everything goes, experiment (I put turnips in my Jamican stir fry just to see what it would be like… I also mixed sauted turnips, sweet taters, apple and peanut butter together the other day.. see… i am strange)
2. Rice I have fallen in love with Seeds of Change Organic Ready to use Rice. Awesome flavor and quick and easy.
3. Some kind of lean protein, Shrimp, beef, chicken, fish whatever suits your dish
4. Seasoning! Because lets face it .. you can grill a hunk of meat and unless you throw some seasoning on it is going to taste like leather. To me the only thing you can cook that flavors just dance on their own is veggies. Again that is just me.
5. Limes… limes and more limes. and if you think you have enough.. buy 6 more limes. I put lime juice on everything I don’t know why I just like it. I put it on while marinading and while grilling and after it is plated.
6. I go through 2 or 3 fresh salsa containers a week, after limes I put that on top of everything too.

So here is the deal if you see something I post and it looks good.. you can pretty much reference back here and figure it out. My dinners are simply mix and match ingredients.. some might call it boring but it works for me. PS it is quick…

NOW you know how to fix Recoctions.

and Last but not least! (sorry this has been so long next week I will do a posting better.


It would be nice if Facebook still allowed “notes” on pages. Some of this I just don’t think you all want to see. Oh well sorry.

I saw that Leslie had posted her athletic goals for 2013 and I had planned to do mine on here by week but it does seem important to look a little farther down the road than well.. Sunday so here goes.

Here’s my list of athletic goals for 2013. I think you will find my focus is not even close to where I thought it would be. You will find my personal ones on my page pretty much :)

Sandy Hook 5k - complete
Frost Bite 5k
Flying Pirate Half and 5k Challenge
Spartan Mud Tip Toe
Outer Banks Half and 5k Challenge
Some other half yet to be determined. Still considering the one in Charlotte the day after the Spartan
Color me Rad 5k with my Things!
Storm the Beach 5k
Wesley Ashberry Brain Injury 5k
Kelly’s St Patricks Day 8k
Any other 5k I can manage to slip in.
Piloxing Instructor Training
Continuous bootcamp - I hope I did not just jinx myself
One surprise thing that will reveal itself in the next month or so

I am sure it may change around some.. things added and hopefully no deletes. As you can see my focus is on running.. I just don’t know WHY! lol.
 

Lunch is served!

One of the coolest things about cooking these amazing dinners is the next days lunch is equally as healthy and awesome and I don’t find myself stumbling around the kitchen and landing in a box of doughnuts! 

 
Excited for tomorrow’s frost bite 5k!

Second 5k of the year!

Up and waiting for my running clothes to dry! Knew I forgot something last night Oppsie! Feeling good and still excited about my second run of the year. Maybe a tad nervous too. Trying a new breakfast today before working out. Apple with tablespoon peanut butter it’s lighter than the oatmeal or bagel. Happy Saturday everyone.

January14

So how much do you give up to get there…

Something is weighing on my mind this morning, how much do you give up to get where you want to be? Do you give up EVERYTHING? Do you measure by how badly you want to get to Point B and drop everything so that you get to Point B as the crow flies or do you get there in a longer period of time with a couple of detours here and there..
Frustrating. It’s frustrating to me because all of this is in my own head. As I am doing something that isn’t so great for me but I enjoy, I feel guilty so I am not enjoying because I am off track to Point B but if I don’t I feel deprived and end up annoyed and just turning around and going back to Point A.
Ok enough of summarizing do I quit drinking to get to where I want to be weight wise that is the damn question!
HOLD the PRESSES! Again I would like to say I have the most amazing coaches of all time. I threw out the readers digest version to my coaches and the response I just got back was probably one of the biggest break throughs mentally I have had yet. It isn’t the actual drinking that is holding me back, because the truth is I don’t do it all the time, I don’t do it every day (yes sometimes I do too much at one time but you can bet your butt it won’t be tomorrow that I do it again) what is holding me back is the mental aspect that “I am a drinker” or “I am a cookie eater” or “I am a coffee creamerer”. It’s what I am telling myself out there, that I can’t possibly get to Point B because I am not a tee totaller fitness junkie who eats chicken breasts and raw spinach only.
It’s me not pushing hard enough and just doing the work and getting through the time of camp because in my head is “I am the fat girl who drank too much wine this weekend so what does it matter what I do this week cause I will probably drink too much wine again and every one knows you can’t get to Point B by drinking too much wine.” When I asked Adam about why that ONE thing was so hard for me to stop when that was keeping me from point B that I wanted so badly,  his response hit me like a Mac truck. He said if you aren’t doing it all the time that ISN’T the one thing. I all of a sudden realized had I eaten a piece of cake last night I would probably have thought sweets were the one thing, if I had eaten a bucket of fried chicken that would have been the one thing, if I had gone out and splurged on a nice meal, eating out would be my one thing. When the truth is NONE of those are my ONE thing, yes I do those occasionally but not enough for it to be THE THING.
The thing is not what I am doing, the ONE thing is what I am not. Thank you Adam for in 5 minutes making me see that.
My ONE thing is “just doing the work” and not attacking it with relentless dedication.
I think I will invest in some Advil on the way to camp tonight I may need it in the morning! I have a feeling “relentless dedication” comes with a side of sore.
So maybe it is not ALL about what you give up to get to Point B and has a lot to do with what you give in.
15.23.14.9.20.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Clownfish?? Well okie dokie then.

Why you will be hearing about my Spartan for a long time.